BROWNIE ~ JUNIOR ~ SENIOR
GROUP TROOP #5158
CADETTE TROOP #3185
Girl Scout Email Address:
(please send me your email address so I can keep you updated via email & save postage)
Edited on May 6, 2004
IT'S TIME FOR EVERYONE TO SPRING REGISTER!
All Girls and Adults who plan to participate in the 2004 - 2005 Girl Scout Activities/Troop Year are asked to register
at this time. Registration forms can be picked up any time between now and "The Cookie Connection Celebration" on Sunday
May 23rd. ALL forms must be completed and returned with a $10.00 registration fee NO LATER THAN MAY 27th! (I would prefer to collect them all at the Cookie ceremony if at all possible, to save me loads of last
minute paper work!) Financial Assisatnce is available if needed.
EVERYONE who SPRING REGISTERS will be invited to Special Summer and Fall Events. If you do NOT Spring Register than you
can NOT participate in these activities.
CO-LEADERS DESPERATELY NEEDED!
With all that is happening here, I desperately need more adult help. In the fall we will be adding another Troop for our
Bridging Brownies, IF they choose NOT to bridge to Darby's Troop. So I will have a total of four troops with five age levels
The first SEVEN Adults to register as a CO-LEADER and attend training will receive a FREE T-Shirt! Let me know if you are
interested in becoming a Co-Leader!
~ TROOP EVENTS & MEETING REMINDERS ~
PARENT/GIRL/LEADER MEETING ~ We need to schedule a Parent/Girl/Leader
Planning meeting for late June or early July. PLEASE let me know if you have a day or time preference.
I would like for as many parents as possible to be there. Things we need to discuss: Fall Awards
~ Bridging Ceremony
Ways to earn money
Bridging to Juniors, Cadette or Senior Girl Scouts ~ Summer Activities
Summer events and activity ideas for ALL girls
Check out the COUNCIL CALENDAR for events you may want to attend
See LONG RANGE CALENDAR page for the Badges & IPP's you chose to work on
See TROOP pages for TROOP assignments!
Be sure to read over all IPP'S/Badges & ASSIGNMENTS worksheets and permission slips CAREFULLY!
- DAISY HELPERS: We are going back to the 3:15 - 4:30 pm meeting time for now. This means the Daisy meeting
will be dismissed at 4:30, it may take us from 4:45 - to 5:00 to clean up depending on our activities.
- ATTENTION DAISY HELPERS ~ PLEASE SEE DAISY PAGE for listed activities and YOUR TROOP PAGE for Rules and scheduled helpers.
- JUNIOR & CADETTE MEETINGS: Will NO LONGER be held on Saundays!
**THE GIRL SCOUT YEAR IS SLIPPING AWAY! **
*Dear Girl Scout Parents,*
*WOW! Where has time gone? Our Girl Scout year is almost HALF OVER! It's been awhile since I've seen or heard from some
of you. Hope this letter finds you all in good health and doing well in the New Year. I just wanted to touch base on a few
issues and let you know what some of the up coming plans are. We have SEVERAL very important things happening that you need
to be aware of! ADULT AND FAMILY IMVOLVMENT MAY BE NEEDED!
*Your Girl Scout may also need some extra help getting caught up and/or finishing some of the following activities. I'm
going to set up a ONE ON ONE Schedule plus you can help her at home.
PLEASE read through this News Letter carefully and let me know if you have any questions
**Looking foward to seeing ~ hearing from you!
MOST RECENT NEWS LETTER:
MAY NEWS NOTE
SPRING & SUMMER PLANS FOR
DAISY TROOP #114 ~ BROWNIE TROOP #1487
CADETTE TROOP #3185 & JR/SR GROUP #5158
MONDAY, MAY 3, 2004
This News Note will be posted online at the "It's A Girl Thing" Girl Scout website all
summer. I'll try to keep the website updated as often as possible in case anyone needs to know what is happening. PLEASE check
our Girl Scout website as often as possible during the summer! THANK YOU ~ Jamie
IF you have an email address (or NEW email address) and I do not have it PLEASE send an
to help save me paper, ink and time keeping you informed.
It would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
REMINDER ~ IF you have not turned in ALL of your Cookie monsy yet ~ PLEASE do so NOW! This is our profit...without
it we can NOT purchase awards for the Ceremony!
PLUS We still have some extra cookies we MUST get rid of ~ if you need them let Jamie P1 know!
2004 COOKIE SALE ~ COOKIE CONNECTION!
- THANKS!!!!! A Great Big HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the 2004 Girl Scout Cookie Sale!
Thanks to everyone who purchased cookies! And a SPECIAL THANK YOU to Chrys M for being our Cookie Manager and making the sale
- COOKIE TRIVIA WINNERS! On January 11th we held out annual Cookie Training/Cookie Trivia Contest. This year we had
three teams. Coming in third and earning $5,600 in Auction Funny Money was Cheyenne A and Lindsay C. Second place winners
with $10,000 in Auction Funny Money was Chrys M (playing for Elizabeth), Larissa L and Tori G. FIRST PLACE Grand Prize winners
was Jayde P and Cherie & Cheyenne P. They will each receive $17,600 in Auction Funny Money PLUS they will be in charge
of planning our Cookie Party/Ceremony/Auction for sometime in April. THANKS for attending the Cookie Training meetings girls!
- ALSO THANKS to Shawn & Tara G and Davina L for attending the Cookie Training! Your Girl Scouts will receive an additional
$1,000. in Auction Funny Money for you attending the training with her.
COOKIE SALE & TROOP GOAL RESULTS
"ALL COOKIE RESULTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE COOKIE CONNECTION CELEBRATION! Which is being planned for sometime
REMINDER ONCE AGAIN:
COOKIE SALE MONEY WAS DUE ON OR BEFORE MARCH 15TH!
STILL HAVE NOT TURNED IN ALL OF THEIR COOKIE MONEY! THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE ASAP SO THAT AWARDS CAN BE PURCHASED FOR THE
WARDS CEREMONY IN MAY!
Everyone will recieve prizes earned, at the Cookie Connection Celebration!
TAKE BACK STIKES/FOUL BALLS
Returning signed Officer Folders: Tori, Larissa & Cheyenne
Calling about missing meeting: Cheyenne
UP COMING EVENTS:
SATURDAY & SUNDAY MAY 15th & 16th TRIP TO ADVENTURELAND
- Details were sent out on May 6th
MAY 17th DAISY FIELD TRIP
- See Daisy Page for more info
MAY 27th LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
MAY 28th END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR PARTY!!
- We'll have a "MOM & ME" slumber party
- Invites will be sent out as soon as all the details are worked out.
- This party will be for ALL ages. Either a MOM or older adult partner MUST attend with each Daisy Girl Scout.
- Older Girl Scouts are encouraged to bring an Adult partner to spend the night with them but not mandatory for them to
spend the night.
- Watch for your invite with complete details coming soon!
MAY 31ST MEMORIAL DAY SERVICES:
- Monday, May 31st is Memorial Day. Any Girl Scout that participates in a local Memorial Day Service will get a Flag Ceremony
Patch and a special award. If you know of a community service happening in your area PLEASE feel free to attend it.
- Everyone is also invited to attend the Service held at the NB Cemetary. Jayson's paper says he has to be there at 8:30
AM but does not say what time the service actually starts. I'm guessing he has to be there early to practice because he takes
part in the 21 gun salute. I'll let everyone know of the time as soon as I hear anything.
- To participate simply show up in "YOUR" FULL DRESS UNIFORM. The Girl Scouts will meet together in the Middle where the
ceremony takes place. When the flag ceremony starts we will pitch in and help lower all the "Unattended" flags.
TRIPS * TRIPS & MORE TRIPS...
REMEMBER ~ IF YOU DON'T PLAN IT ~ WE DON'T DO IT!
IT DOES NO GOOD TO MAKE THE PLANS IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH!
INDOOR WATER PARK/MOTEL
Don't know if we'll make it there before summer
Maybe just wait until this coming fall and go as an attendance incentive for those girls with perfect/good attendance.
OR as a recruitment party?
Every Weekend in May is Girl Scout/Boy Scout special price weekends. ALL family members are invited to join us!
Ticket prices are $16.50 per person ages 4 and up for the first day. $13.50 per person 4 and up for the second day. Under
4 years get in FREE. Regular price is $27.00 for 10 yrs & up and $23.00 for 4 - 9 yrs. So you'll save
between $6.00 and $10.00 by attending with the Girl Scouts.
The yard sale looks very doubtful at this point so I'll only be able to purchase tickets for those girls who
sold 200+ boxes. SORRY! Everyone else will be responsible for buying their own.
NEED TO DECIDE:
1.) Do we want to spend the whole weekend or drive over and spend one day and drive back that night?
2.) What time do you want to leave?
YOU decide what you want and let me know ASAP!
3.) MONDAY MAY 10TH FINAL ADVENTURELAND PLANNING Monday May 10th All older girls and available Parents are invited to attend Daisy Meeting. At the end of Monday's meeting EVERYONE who plans to go to Adventureland with us needs to gather real quick
for about 15 minutes or so, so that we can discuss final plans. (Decide rather or not to spend the
night, departure times, turn in ticket order forms, ect.)
MAY 17th DAISY FIELD TRIP TO FLOWER SHOP
- On Monday, May 17th the Daisy Troop will be going on a trip visit a flower shop and meet some of the poeple in the Community.
- Girls are to be at the Flower shop BY 3:30 PM! So it will be totally necessary for all Daisy Girl Scouts to be car pooled
from the Elementary School in order to get there on time AND NOT TAKE THE BUS!
- The shop closes at 4:00 PM so it is very important you try to be there by 3:30 pm!!
- If there is not enough room for the Brownie/Juniors to ride with Daisy parents they will have to ride the bus and just
walk there ASAP!
- ATTENTION BROWNIE & JUNIORS!!!! If you plan to attend this event you MUST
let Tammy know.
- Each Girl Scout that attends will get to "Pot a Plant" herself to take home.
- Daisy's will get first choice of pots and the extras will only be passed out to those older girls who RSVP'ed.
So to make sure there is enough materials to go around PLEASE RSVP with TAMMY ASAP!
- All available parents are asked to attend this event with their daughter if possible. We understand that
we have several working parents who can not be there so do not feel that if you can not attend your daughter can not participate!
- Tammy has room for extras as will some of the other parents, I'm sure. IF you CAN drive OR if your
daughter needs a ride PLEASE contact Tammy ASAP.
- (IDEA ~ after your visit to the Flower shop ends at 4 PM just drop in places like Caseys and say "HI" to
the people who work there so you can meet several people in the Community!
- * NOTE: I WILL NOT be attending this event. That is the same day as the 8th grade field trip
and I will be with my daughter in Springfield all day. So anyone who has a camera that can bring it along PLEASE
take some pictures for the News Paper. (A digital would be great! Then you could send the pictures via email.)
- Tammy will be writting down what you did for a News Paper article.
- Hope everyone has a GRRRRRREAT TIME!
MEETINGS ~ ASSIGNMENTS ~ PLANS ~ PATCH/BADGE WORK
WE NEED A NEW MEETING DAY!
- Our attendance has really dropped since we went to SUNDAY meetings! As of IMMEDIATELY we will no longer hold Sunday Meetings!
- We'll meet After school with the Daisy's (JR on one end and Daisy's on the other.
- Let me know what you think, let me hear your suggestions......need ideas on day, time and meeting place!
DAISY Assignments: If you havn't earned Promise Center yet complete
that. Learn the beginning of the Girl Scout Law and first three - four Law Petals
BROWNIE Assignment: Work on all Try-It's you want to earn.
Start on Bridging Activities for you. Help plan DAISY Bridging workshop!
JUNIOR Assignment Sheets attached PLEASE try to complete all worksheets
by the end of March so patches/badges can be purchased for April Awards ceremony.
JUNIOR GIRLS DECIDED THEY WANT TO START HOLDING PATCH/BADGE WORKSHOPS:
- Girls are not getting much accomplished on their own and want more help
- We WILL start holding Patch/Badge workshops and earn several Patches/Badges at each workshop.
- There will be about one per month during school
- AND Two per month this summer
UPCOMING WORKSHOPS TO LOOK FORWARD TO:
- Arts & Crafts/Ceramics & Clay
- My Community (Design a Mercer County Patch for Council Patch Book)
- Plants & Animals
- 1st Aide/Health & Safety (JRS will earn a DISCONTINUED Badge)
- Babysitting Clinic
- Lots of OUTDOOR workshops!
AGE LEVEL SUMMER WORKSHOPS: I'll need help planning and holding several workshops throughout the summer.
If you are available and would like to help &/or drive please let me know ASAP! A planning meeting to set dates for these
workshops will be held sometime in late June - early July.
ALL AGE LEVELS
- Work on Computer Activities/Change GS Website
- Field Trip
- Day Camp
- Over Night Camping (See Camp planning assignments)
- Working on / Finishing up Law Petals
- Going to the Zoo ~ Girl Scouts own ceremony
- Working on Badges & Signs
- Health & Fitness (First Aide, CPR Training)
- Baby Sitting Clinic (First Aide, CPR Training)
- Bronze Award Project(s)
- Silver Award Project
- Challenge Yourself
WORKING ONE ON ONE
- ANY Girl Scout (ANY AGE LEVEL) who would like some help with ANYTHING through out the summer give me a call and we'll
set something up. You can come spend the day or even stay over night with us and work on what ever you want to earn by the
Fall Awards Ceremony.
RECRUITMENTS ~ MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE!
- Jayde & Tori are our recruitment officers! They need to get some recruitment workshops/parties
- Junior Troop has 10 registered members with an average attendance of THREE!
- Cadette Troop has 6 registered members with an average attendance of ONE!
- Need to try to get all registered girls active again
- PLUS add NEW members to each Troop!
- MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE! The Troop that adds the most NEW MEMBERS &/or get the old members active
again wins a TROOP Party of their Choice!
UPCOMING SUMMER ACTIVITIES PLANNED:
SUMMER MEETINGS ~ VACATIONS ~ PARADES
Instead of having "MEETINGS" this summer we'll try to do at least one to two workshops (including the assigned campouts)
per month starting the week after the 4th of July.JUNE is my vacation month so NO MEETINGS/WORKSHOPS will be held during the
month of JUNE!
We WILL however participate in BOTH Community parades. We decided we want to enter a FLOAT in each parade.
JUNE IS VACATION & PARADE MONTH!
I always take the full month of June off to rest, recooperate and regenerate! We will NOT hold any "Meetings in June. Regular
Meetings/Workshop will resume sometime Mid- July. The ONLY thing we will do in June is participate in both community Parades.
The Girls voted and decided they did NOT want to walk in any parades this year. Instead they want to build floats and RIDE!
I need at least one adult volunteer from each town to be in charge of the "Girl Scout Float" for their parade. You'll need
to find a hay rack &/OR truck/tractor, a place to put things together and someone to drive. You'll also be responsible
for getting together a planning and decorating committee and contacting all the girls to remind them of the parade date and
what to wear.
I WILL NOT HAVE TIME TO PLAN OR BE IN CHARGE OF ANY OF THESE DETAILS! I will be available the day of the parade, just let
me know where to be and what to do for that day.
SUMMER CAMP IDEAS
DAISY TROOP: We will try to attend Camp Conastoga as a GROUP. Other "DAY CAMP" and summer activities will be planned for
the younger girls. Let me hear your ideas and available dates.
The Older girls have decided that they do not want to go to "GIRL SCOUT CAMP" instead they all want to plan and hold their
own camps. We chose partners and themes. YOU just need to plan the campout, find a place (if you haven't done so already)
and set a date so information and permission slips can be sent to the council and the other girls. Go through each of the
Badges/IPP's listed and come up with which activities you want to do to earn each Badge/Patch and get it to me ASAP so we
can work out a schedule and cost per campout. Each group must also work out a Kaper Chart and menu for their campout. GOOD
LUCK! (*Be sure to read THINGS TO CONSIDER written in purple on your assignment sheet, these rules MUST be followed!)
JAYDE & JAYSON - "Battle of the Sexes". (JRS = Out Door Fun and Out Door Cook CAD = Outdoor Surrvival) TWO part
campout. First part SOON to learn the basic camping skills & trail signs. Part Two camp in April with Boy Scouts and have
competitions like: Capture the flag, tug of war, fire building, knot tying...and put to rest once and for all who the better
scouts are. COZ WE GIRLS RULE!
CHEYENNE A."Camping Together". (JRS = Camp Together CAD = Camping) Armentrouts cabin late Spring or early summer. Cheyenne
already has the campout planned just need to do the "Official paperwork"
TORI, TARA & LARISSA "Eco-Action ~ Taking Care of our Earth" (JRS = Eco-Action, Earth Connections & Finding
your way CAD = Eco-Action, Planet Power, Orienteering) Gilmour's Farm late summer early fall
BRITTANY, KIRSTIE D. & JAMIE "Water Everywhere ~ Outdoor Adventure" (JRS = Water Fun, Wildlife & Hiking CAD
= Water Sports, Paddle, Pole & Roll and Wildlife) Maybe Delabar or Jamie's Grma's this summer.
ELIZABETH & CHRYS "Horse Lover" (JRS = Horse Fan & Horse Rider. CAD = Horse Sence) Summer or Fall
HOLLY, KIRSTIE 2 & SAMANTHA "Fun with Art in the Out of Doors" (JRS = Outdoor Creativity & Your Outdoor Surroundings.
CAD = Visual Arts & Textile Arts) you choose details......
SUMMER ~ BRIDGING ACTIVITIES
Any Girl who is completing 1st, 3rd, 5th and 9th grades (and moving to the next grade level in the fall) will be Bridging
to the next girl scout level in September. Through out the summer we will hold "SPECIAL BRIDGING WORKSHOPS" for these girls
only so that they may complete all their bridging requirments. At this time I have that list as being as follows,
- From Daisy's to Brownies: Jordan, Miranda, Rebecca, Cheyenne, Emily and Madi. *NOTE: These girls can Bridge to either
Brownie Troop #1487. Leaders Jamie P1 & Tina(NEW LEADERS/Co-LEADERS/HELPERS NEEDED!) OR they can join Darby's Group Troop?
You decide where you want your daughter to go and I'll point you in the right direction in Spring Registration.
- From Brownies to Juniors: Savanah
- From Juniors to Cadettes: Brittany, Kirstie and Elizabeth
- From Cadettes to Seniors: April and Jayde
- From Seniors to Adults: Nina
Some of the Badges/Ipp's we'll be working on this summer ask for us to "PLANT A GARDEN". Instead of having ONE garden we'll
probably have EACH girl try to plant something where she can care for it all summer. EX - Cheyenne = tomatoes, Brittany =
cucumbers, Jayde = green beans, Holly = green peppers, Tori = corn, ect.
When it comes "Harvest Time" the girls will set up a produce stand and sell what they grew. This will be a team effort
and will ONLY work out if everyone pitches in so we need to decide before we ever get started who wants to participate and
what they want to try to grow. More will be discussed at our next planning meeting.